New in February: Joseph Cassara, Saundra Mitchell, Jeffrey C. Stewart, and Karin Kallmaker
Author: Edit Team
February 4, 2018
Rejoice! This month brings fresh new LGBTQ books to add to your reading list!
From the publisher:
It’s 1980 in New York City, and nowhere is the city’s glamour and energy better reflected than in the burgeoning Harlem ball scene, where seventeen-year-old Angel first comes into her own. Burned by her traumatic past, Angel is new to the drag world, new to ball culture, and has a yearning inside of her to help create family for those without. When she falls in love with Hector, a beautiful young man who dreams of becoming a professional dancer, the two decide to form the House of Xtravaganza, the first-ever all-Latino house in the Harlem ball circuit. But when Hector dies of AIDS-related complications, Angel must bear the responsibility of tending to their house alone.
As mother of the house, Angel recruits Venus, a whip-fast trans girl who dreams of finding a rich man to take care of her; Juanito, a quiet boy who loves fabrics and design; and Daniel, a butch queen who accidentally saves Venus’s life. The Xtravaganzas must learn to navigate sex work, addiction, and persistent abuse, leaning on each other as bulwarks against a world that resists them. All are ambitious, resilient, and determined to control their own fates, even as they hurtle toward devastating consequences.
Told in a voice that brims with wit, rage, tenderness, and fierce yearning, The House of Impossible Beauties is a tragic story of love, family, and the dynamism of the human spirit.
All Out: The No-Longer-Secret Stories of Queer Teens throughout the Ages (Harlequin Teen) by Saundra Mitchell continues the trend of biography anthologies with this collection aimed at queer teens.
From the publisher:
Take a journey through time and genres and discover a past where queer figures live, love and shape the world around them. Seventeen of the best young adult authors across the queer spectrum have come together to create a collection of beautifully written diverse historical fiction for teens.
From a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood set in war-torn 1870s Mexico featuring a transgender soldier, to two girls falling in love while mourning the death of Kurt Cobain, forbidden love in a sixteenth-century Spanish convent or an asexual girl discovering her identity amid the 1970s roller-disco scene, All Out tells a diverse range of stories across cultures, time periods and identities, shedding light on an area of history often ignored or forgotten.
Out this month is The New Negro: The Life of Alain Locke (Oxford University Press), a new biography of one of the key figures of the Harlem Renaissance.
From the publisher:
Jeffrey C. Stewart offers the definitive biography of the father of the Harlem Renaissance, based on the extant primary sources of his life and on interviews with those who knew him personally.
Stewart explores both Locke’s professional and private life, including his relationships with his mother, his friends, and his white patrons, as well as his lifelong search for love as a gay man.
Bingo Love (Image Comics) is a new graphic novel by Tee Franklin, Jenn St-Onge, and Joy San that tells the story of two women who reunite after decades apart.
From the publisher:
When Hazel Johnson and Mari McCray met at church bingo in 1963, it was love at first sight. Forced apart by their families and society, Hazel and Mari both married young men and had families. Decades later, now in their mid-’60s, Hazel and Mari reunite again at a church bingo hall. Realizing their love for each other is still alive, what these grandmothers do next takes absolute strength and courage.
And speaking of love, don’t forget to check out the new romance titles below by Karin Kallmaker, Emily King, and PJ Trebelhorn!
As always, if we missed an author or book, or if you have a book coming out next month, please email us.
- The House of Impossible Beauties by Joseph Cassara, Ecco
- The Origin of Doubt by Nathan Alling Long, Press 53
- Some Hell by Patrick Nathan, Graywolf Press
- Winter Kept Us Warm by Anne Raeff, Counterpoint
- Go the Way Your Blood Beats: On Truth, Bisexuality and Desire by Michael Amherst, Repeater
- Lasting Love At Last: The Gay Guide to Relationships by Amari Ice, Difference Press
- Neo-/Victorian Biographilia and James Miranda Barry: A Study in Transgender and Transgenre by Ann Heilmann, Palgrave Macmillan
- The Queer and Transgender Resilience Workbook: Skills for Navigating Sexual Orientation and Gender Expression by Anneliese Singh, New Harbinger Publications
- The Queer Fantasies of the American Family Sitcom by Tison Pugh, Rutgers University Press
- TRANS: Exploring Gender Identity and Gender Dysphoria by Az Hakeem, Trigger Press
- The World Only Spins Forward: The Ascent of Angels in America by Isaac Butler & Dan Kols, Bloomsbury USA
- Appalachia in Regional Context: Place Matters edited by Dwight B. Billings & Ann E. Kingsolver, University Press of Kentucky
- Bisexuality: Theories, Research, and Recommendations for the Invisible Sexuality edited by D. Joye Swan & Shani Habibi, Springer
- The Erotics of History: An Atlantic African Example by Donald L. Donham, University of California Press
- Gay Men, Identity, and Social Media: A Culture of Participatory Reluctance by Elija Cassidy, Routledge
- Gender Reckonings: New Social Theory and Research by James W. Messerschmidt, Michael A. Messner, Raewyn Connell, & Patricia Yancey Martin, NYU Press
- Hollinghurst, Camp and Closet by Serkan Ertin, Cambridge Scholars Publishing
- Male Bodies and Sexual Difference: A Proposal for a Feminist Corporeo-ethics by Ovidiu Anemtoaicei, Cambridge Scholars Publishing
- Psychic Bisexuality: A British-French Dialogue by Rosine Jozef Perelberg, Routledge
- Queer Maghrebi French: Language, Temporalities, Transfiliations by Denis M. Provencher, Liverpool University Press
- Researching Sex and Sexualities by Andrea Cornwall, Charlotte Morris, Paul Boyce, Hannah Frith, Laura Harvey, & Yingying Huang, Zed Books
- Transgender Cops: The Intersection of Gender and Sexuality Expectations in Police Cultures by Heather Panter, Routledge
- Transgender Sex Work and Society by Larry Nuttbrock, Harrington Park Press
- Understanding Trans Health: Discourse, Power and Possibility by Ruth Pearce, Policy Press
Young Adult and Children’s Literature
- All Out: The No-Longer-Secret Stories of Queer Teens throughout the Ages by Saundra Mitchell, Harlequin Teen
- All We Can Do Is Wait by Richard Lawson, Razorbill
- The Apocalypse of Elena Mendoza by Shaun David Hutchinson, Simon Pulse
- Derailed by Genevieve Iseult Eldredge, Monster House Books
- The Last to Let Go by Amber Smith, Margaret K. McElderry Books
- Luminosity by Annabelle Jay, Harmony Ink Press
- Not Today by MC Lee, Harmony Ink Press
- The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang, First Second
- Snowsisters by Tom Wilinsky & Jen Sternick, Duet
- Add Romance and Mix by Shannon M Harris, Sapphire Books Publishing
- And the Next Thing You Know . . . by Chase Taylor Hackett, Lyrical Press
- CAM Boy by Quinn Anderson, Riptide Publishing
- Cracking Love by Emily King, Bella Books
- Going Overboard by L a Witt, Riptide Publishing
- A Heart to Call Home by Jeannie Levig, Bold Strokes Books
- Hearts Like Hers by Melissa Brayden, Bold Strokes Books
- Losing It by Christine D’Abo, Riptide Publishing
- Love at Cooper’s Creek by Missouri Vaun, Bold Strokes Books
- My Lady Lipstick by Karin Kallmaker, Bella Books
- Somewhere Over Lorain Road by Bud Gundy, Bold Strokes Books
- Twice in a Lifetime by PJ Trebelhorn, Bold Strokes Books
- Undiscovered Affinity by Jane Hardee, Bold Strokes Books
- Vacationland by Susan X Meagher, Brisk Press
- Worth Searching For by Wendy Qualls, Lyrical Shine
Graphic Novels/Illustrated Books
- Apocalypse Alley by Don Allmon, Riptide Publishing
- Can You Hear Me by Geonn Cannon, Supposed Crimes
- Children of the Healer by Barbara Ann Wright, Bold Strokes Books
- Death’s Echoes by Penny Mickelbury, Bywater Books
- The God Game by Jeffrey Round, Dundurn
- Relief Valve by Jl Merrow, Riptide Publishing
- Where Death Meets the Devil by L J Hayward, Riptide Publishing
- A Whisper of Bones by Ellen Hart, Minotaur Books
- Wild Justice by Priscilla Royal, Poisoned Pen Press
- Daddy Obsession by Jonathan Lemieux, Bruno Gmuender
- Night Shift: A Choose-Your-Own Erotic Fantasy by Joanna Angel, Cleis Press
- The New Negro: The Life of Alain Locke by Jeffrey C. Stewart
- Boys Keep Swinging: A Memoir by Jake Shears, Atria Books
- Breaking the Ruhls by Larry Ruhl, Central Recovery Press
- Hiding Out: A Memoir of Drugs, Deception, and Double Lives by Tina Alexis Allen, Dey Street Books
- Queer and Catholic: A Life of Contradiction by Mark Dowd, Darton Longman & Todd Ltd
- Starving In Search of Me: A Coming-of-Age Story of Overcoming An Eating Disorder and Finding Self-Acceptance by Marissa LaRocca, Mango
- Quarry by Tanis Franco, University of Calgary Press
- Scranton Lace by Margo Douaihy, Clemson University Press